Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Why is my ferret's hair becoming white?

Gizmo is relatively young for a ferret, 1.5 years old. In the last month her hair started to get white on her head. Could that be a sign of depression?



Why is my ferret's hair becoming white?

It should be because of the seasons but i have a female that was mostly white when i bought her and she isn't a year but is getting darker now she is almost a silver roan. so it could be the seasons thing or like mine just changing colors, my male is also getting lighter and he is abit over a year and a half. it really is no cause for concern



Why is my ferret's hair becoming white?

no no ferret's hair change colors depending on the weather! What is his orginal color on the fur?



Why is my ferret's hair becoming white?

no, some ferrets change fur color to blend in with the snow



Why is my ferret's hair becoming white?

As was already stated, ferret's hair changes with the seasons, just like other animals they get a winter coat. My ferret was nearly completely silver for most of the year, but when winter rolled around he turned almost pure white.



If I may, I'd suggest getting a subscription to Ferrets magazine or Modern Ferret, or perhaps borrowing a book on Ferrets (Ferrets For Dummies is really good) from your local library. You can learn a lot about your pet by doing this, and it's a good idea!



Why is my ferret's hair becoming white?

It's called Roaning. Some ferrets get lighter with the winter seasons, while other get lighter with age. I've seen dark grey ferrets turn completly white in a matter of years :) It's normal and nothing to worry about!



Why is my ferret's hair becoming white?

no, ferrets hair just changes colors



Why is my ferret's hair becoming white?

That is NOT a sign of depression LOL. Ferrets molt twice a year....once just before spring and once just before fall. Think about it. It's winter. Ferrets in the wild want to blend in with the background so they don't end up food. So they would want to look as much like the snow as possible. That inherited trait comes into play with domestic ferrets as well. Their coats will become darker in the spring so they can blend in with trees etc. Not unusual at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
annual credit report